Today we will be dealing with prayer points for national leaders. A National leader is a person who is a respected leader in national or international affairs. A statesman whose advice is sought in government.
A national leader/s are those who lead the Nation. They have it in their jurisdiction/power to command, control and lead the citizens.
Bulk of every rule is passed by our National leaders. So the need to always pray for them as every decision they make as a long way to go in making or marring our lives.
Of a fact, they were chosen into power by us(we the citizens) through a democratic system of government which is a system of government by the people, of the people and for the people.
“Men make history and not the other way around. In periods where there is no leadership, society stands still. Progress occurs when courageous, skillful leaders seize the opportunity to change things for the better.” – Harry S. Truman.
According to Harry S. Truman, the essence of a leader in a Nation can not be overemphasized. Not just ordinary leaders but skillful leaders whose hunger is to make a change in the Nation.
Electing them as our national leaders is not the only thing, it is also our right to see that they lead us aright, this we can do only in the place of prayers.
So many of us are used to cursing our national leaders most especially when they don’t make decisions to suit us. We see them as wicked and we start saying all manner of evil against them, we go as far as regretting why we put them into government.
Looking at what has been going on in Nigeria especially in Lagos, a case study of the end sars that started last year, we expected the government to arise for our cause and take a big step to fighting for the youths but reverse was the case.
Seeing the huge number of lives lost in the Lekki massacre on October 20,2020 left everyone in a great sadness and everyone awaited the president’s speech for consolation, everyone awaited the leaders of the country to fight for us but our expectation led to nothing.
All these and more can be very frustrating and disheartening but the fact remains that they are our leaders and they still remain our leaders.
According to research, developed countries wake daily and pray for their country. Following the same research, an average American will wake and say ‘God bless America’ and we can see how their country gets better by the day. This is a habit to emulate from them.
Our prayers for our national leaders shouldn’t be solely based on how they treat us alone, we should pray for them because the bible ask us to do so. See the book of Psalms 122:6-7 ‘pray for the peace of Jerusalem : they that love thee shall prosper. Peace be within thy walls, and prosperity within thy palaces’.
Prayers for our national leaders will guarantee a peaceful nation. See 1 Timothy 2:1-2 , I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.
As we pray for them, we are also praying for ourselves, we are indirectly praying for our children’s future , we are also praying for the world at large.
We are to learn from the words of Ezekiel 22:30 , “I looked for someone among them who would build up the wall and stand before me in the gap on behalf of the land so I would not have to destroy it, but I found no one.”
In summary, We are to be those who stand in the gap, who lift up our nation with all it favors and faults before the throne of God, and pray that He continues to work in our nation and raise leaders of His will. Leaders full of wisdom like that of Solomon. Leaders that have the fear of the Lord, leaders that are not self centered, leaders that are compassionate.
Prayer points for national leaders:
For more understanding and emphasis, we will be looking at prayer points and also scriptures that urges us to pray for them.
- Father I bless you for our national leaders, be exalted in Jesus name.
- Lord I pray that you forgive the sins of our national leaders in Jesus name.
- Anything we are facing as a result of their sins,have mercy and forgive in Jesus name.
- Pass through our land and heal our land in Jesus name.
- Psalms 2:10-11 – Therefore, you kings, be wise; be warned, you rulers of the earth. Serve the LORD with fear and celebrate his rule with trembling. Help our leaders to be wise in Jesus name.
- Fill their hearts with the required wisdom (just as you gave Solomon) to lead us aright in Jesus name.
- Proverbs 11:14 – For lack of guidance a nation falls, but victory is won through many advisers. Guide their hearts in Jesus name.
- Help them to always inquire from you before taking any step in Jesus name.
- Every evil operating in their midst be put to an end in Jesus name.
- Proverbs 21:1 – The king’s heart is a stream of water in the hand of the LORD; he turns it wherever he will.
- Father do with them what you please in Jesus name.
- Job 12:23-25 – He makes nations great, and destroys them; he enlarges nations, and disperses them
- Lord Jesus, make us great, enlarge our coast in Jesus name.
- We declare and decree, It is well with Nigeria in Jesus name.
- Lord, we pray that you will invade their hearts with love of the masses. Grant them the grace to always remember the masses when decision is about to be made
- Father, we want you to change their heart from being selfish. Let them always do thing in interest of the masses in the name of Jesus. Grant them the grace to always make the right policy that will alleviate the sufferings of the masses in the name of Jesus.
- Illuminate our land with your light in Jesus name.
- We put an end to the shedding of blood in Nigeria in Jesus name.
- Thank you Jesus for answered prayer. In Jesus name I pray. Amen