I understand what it feels like to be weak and afraid. Sometimes you want to do something so badly but you simply lack the courage to try. It could be still trusting God for healing after being sick for several years or day. You have prayed severally but it seems no one is listening, now you are scared because you feel you are all alone in your trouble. Meanwhile, the Lord is just somewhere ahead waiting for you, but you need strength and courage never to give up yet.
Today we will be dealing with 10 scriptural verses to read for courage when you are afraid. It could be that the enemy has been tormenting you for years and it seems you can never defeat the enemy. The sad thing is that the enemy understands your fear and would utilize it to further torment you. Courage is the first step towards victory. If only David’s courage had been defeated by the sight of Goliath, the story of his life would have taken a different turn. We all need courage to defeat that demon that has tormented us for years.
When you feel helpless, afraid and dejected, the word of God is the best solution. The word of God carries the promises of God for our lives. Also, the bible makes us understand that God doesn’t go back on His words. That means if He has said it, He will do it. In our state of trouble, the word of God will help us, it will give us the hope that we need and strengthen us to keep believing and trusting God.
- Joshua 1:9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.
- Psalm 56:3-4 When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. 4 In God, whose word I praise- in God I trust and am not afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?
- Deuteronomy 31:6 Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”
- 2 Timothy 1:7 For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.
- Ephesians 6:10-18 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.
- Isaiah 12:2 Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The Lord, the Lord himself, is my strength and my defense ; he has become my salvation.”
- Romans 8:31-39 What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all-how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. Who then is the one who condemns? No one. Christ Jesus who died-more than that, who was raised to life-is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? As it is written: “For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.” No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- Matthew 10:16-20 “I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves. Be on your guard; you will be handed over to the local councils and be flogged in the synagogues. On my account you will be brought before governors and kings as witnesses to them and to the Gentiles. But when they arrest you, do not worry about what to say or how to say it. At that time you will be given what to say, for it will not be you speaking, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you.
- 1 Chronicles 28:20 David also said to Solomon his son, “Be strong and courageous, and do the work. Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord God, my God, is with you. He will not fail you or forsake you until all the work for the service of the temple of the Lord is finished.
- Isaiah 41:10 So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Note: God has not forsaken you. Although your present trouble and predicament may make it look like God has left you. But you should know that you are God’s own, a special being made after His likeness. If He can take care of the birds in the sky and the fishes in water, then He will do more for the creature that was made in His image.
Sometimes, tribulations and predicament are teaching us patience, and equipping us to be strong. Always remember this portion of the Bible Isaiah 60:22 When the Time Is Right I,the Lord Will Make It Happen. May God grant you the strength to wait until the time is right.