31 And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat: 32 But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.
To backslide means to go back to a sinful lifestyle as a born again christian. Today we shall be engaging some prayers is titled: How to stop backsliding prayer points. Sin and ignorance are the two major reasons why a lot of Christians backslide. Let’s quickly look at these two reasons at the same time and why they lead to a Christian’s backsliding.
Reason 1& 2: Sin & Ignorance. Sin here refers to an act that is not pleasing to God, examples are, stealing, lying, formication and adultery, malice etc, the list of sins are endless. Many Christians believe that when you give your life to Christ, you will never commit sin again, how naive. Now let’s look at some fact about sin:
Facts about Sin.
1) Sin is not an Act, But Its A Nature. What does this mean? Sin is not the act of doing wrong, no, sin is the nature of the falling man. Sin is the nature of the devil in man.In Genesis Chapter 1, 2 and 3 the bible tells us about the creation of the world and the first man Adam. Adam was created perfect and without sin, but He fell from glory when he yielded to the temptation of the devil, Sin came into this world through Adams sin in the garden, Adam was the first man and as he fell the nature of sin was imputed in him and that sin spread to all his descendants which you and I are included, Romans 5:12-21. As a result of this everyman that is born into this world was born with the sinful nature. Sin is in our DNA.Just like a child born with sickle cell anaemia, that child is called a sickler, people call him that because he falls sick often, but the truth is this, he is not a ‘sickler’ because he falls sick often, rather he is a ‘sickler’ because he has sickle cell in his blood. In the same way we are not sinners because we commit sin, rather we are sinners because we have the nature of sin in us. This knowledge is important because once you know about the origin of sin, the devil cannot steal your salvation from you.
2). Jesus Came To This World Because Of Sin: Hebrews 9:28 has this to say: So Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him.NIV VERSION.
The primary reason why Jesus came to this world is to save the world from there sins. John 3:16 tells us that the coming of Jesus was an act of the unconditional love of God to the world. He loved us so much and sent His son Jesus to save us from sin. How are we saved from Sin? By believing in Jesus from our heart. When you believe in Jesus as your Lord and saviour, you are saved from sin, because God erases all your sins PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE. You become holy and perfect before God. Through your faith in Christ, you are eternally reconciled with God and He will never count your sins against you, 2 Corinthians 5:17-21. This is why the new covenant is the greatest covenant, because God accepts us not because of our perfect works but because of the perfect works of His son Jesus whom we have believed. Now that we have believed in Christ, what comes next
3). Righteousness Is The Cure For Sin: Romans 4:3-8:3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness. 4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. 5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. 6 Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works, 7 Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered. 8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.
Righteousness is the nature of God imputed in any person who believes in Jesus Christ. These righteousness gives that individual right standing before God, this means that this person stands upright in the eyes of God. Righteousness is not right doing, rather it is right believing that produces right doing. You must become righteous before you can behave righteous, and to become righteous, you must believe in Jesus Christ. These knowledge is important because, a lot of believers think righteousness is doing right before God, and thus the strive to obey God perfectly in order to earn His righteousness, but that is a wrong mind set. The truth is this no human can merit Gods righteousness, it is only imputed on you when you believe in Jesus Christ, Christ Jesus is our righteousness the bible tells us that no man can be justified ( declared righteous) before God by their own efforts, Galatians 2:16. Therefore, quit trying to merit God’s righteousness, just RECIEVE it by faith in Christ Jesus only.
4). Sin No Longer Has Dominion Over Us: Romans 6:14:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
Sin no longer has dominion over us, because we are under the dispensation of grace not under the dispensation of the Law. What does this mean? Now follow me carefully, under the law sin was a barrier between God and man see the scripture in Isaiah 59:1-2:1 Behold, the Lord’s hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither his ear heavy, that it cannot hear: 2 But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear. You see under the law, the sins of man was a barrier between man and God, there was no mediator for sin, no saviour for man, no one was righteous enough to stand in the gap for man therefore God separated Himself from man. But the good news is this under the new covenant a lot have change, We now have a mediator, Jesus Christ the righteous, he has meet all the requirements of God for our salvation. So now when we fall into sin, the blood of Jesus is there to always wash us clean, no need to backslide because of Sins, no need to allow sin dominate your life anymore, Jesus have taken care of sin forever,through Christ, God has forgiven us of all our sins, PAST PRESENT AND FUTURE, God will never count our sins against us any more. Therefore child of God, never be afraid of sin, if you fall into sin, rise up from it and RECIEVE mercy from Gods throne of grace. He will never condemn you. If you believe in Jesus, you are Gods favorite for ever.I will love to end this part with just two scriptures.
29 In those days they shall say no more, The fathers have eaten a sour grape, and the children’s teeth are set on edge. 30 But every one shall die for his own iniquity: every man that eateth the sour grape, his teeth shall be set on edge. 31 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: 32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the Lord: 33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. 34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the Lord; for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.
1 John 2:1-2:
1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: 2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
I believe that with this understanding, you have seen how to stop backsliding in your heart. I believe you have a good understanding that sin is not the problem of the believer, all your sins are forgiving in Christ Jesus . Just keep living in the consciousness of His love for you and soon that love will begin to flow from you to others. Below are some prayer points that will help strengthen your faith.
1. I refuse to give the accuser of the brethren any legal ground in my life any more in Jesus name
2. Holy Spirit, help me not to depart from the faith forever in Jesus name
3. Holy Spirit, help me not to give heed to seducing spirits in Jesus name
4. Holy Spirit, let no work of darkness thrive in my life again in Jesus name
5. Every power, assigned by the host of darkness to draw me away from eternal life will not prosper in my life, in Jesus’ name.
6. By the power of God, no lying spirit will have his way in my life, in Jesus’ name.
7. I reject the activities of the spirit of hypocrisy, in Jesus’ name.
8. Every power, specifically assigned to distract me, be bound, in Jesus’ name.
9. Any spirit of the world, beckoning to me, be bound, in Jesus’ name.
10. Any part of me, thirsting for friendship with the world, receive divine deliverance, in Jesus’ name.
Thank you Lord for establishing me in the faith in Jesus name.