Today, we shall be engaging in inspirational prayers in times of despair. Life can be quite challenging at times. Just when we have planned and created mental pictures of what we want to do, where we want to get to or the results we want to see in our lives, then all of a sudden everything takes a different turn and we are left with shattered hopes and unrealized dreams. The bible says in Proverbs 13:12 that hope deferred makes the heart sick, but when a man gets his desire it is a tree of life to him.
To be in despair means to be in a state of hopelessness or seeming ‘insurmountable’ difficulties. It is in times like this that people begin to say they have tried everything but nothing seems to be working, they have done all they know to do yet it seems like they are pouring water into baskets. Despair in life is not a function of your belief, color, race or gender, it can happen to any man whether they plan for it or not. It is therefore not a matter of whether or not you will experience it, it is much more about what you do in those times of despair.
Despair takes away the confidence of a man. It brings about worry, anxiety and fear and can lead a man into isolation. It is usually at this point that most people enter into a state of depression and some even get to commit suicide simply because they do not know where else to turn to. There is an account of two women in the book of 2kings chapter 6, who did the unthinkable to their own children because they were in a state of despair. There was great famine in the land to the point where the people found it hard to fill their bellies and because of this they agreed to kill their own children, boil them and eat them just to satisfy their hunger, something they wouldn’t do ordinarily.
Some of the people who are engaged in criminal activities today did not really envision that for their lives, they were forced into these things because they got to certain breaking points in their lives and they did not know where exactly to turn to. It is at this point most times that the devil takes advantage of men and lures them into acts that they never thought they would engage in.
As believers and followers of Christ what we are to do in times of despair is not to try to figure things out on our own or to begin to seek solace in the world, what we are to do rather is to turn to God for help. The book of Psalms 91 tells us that those who dwell in the secret place of the most high shall abide under the shadow of the almighty. In other words, if we turn to the secret place in times of despair, He will ensure that we are safe because His name is a strong tower and everyone who runs into it will surely be saved. We must have read the account of Jesus when He was in the boat with His disciples, how a storm arose and how He was able to calm the storm and restore peace in that time. God is always with us in our time of despair.
He said in Isaiah 49:15, that even if a mother forgets her sucking child, that He will never forget us, He also said in Psalm 23 that even though we walk through the valley of the shadow of death, we should fear no evil for He is with us. He also went further to tell us that our afflictions may be many, but He is able to deliver us from them all, He said He will never leave us nor forsake us (Duet 31:8)
We must also understand that though the devil seeks to take advantage of our times of despair but God always uses it as a stepping stone for our lives. Scripture tells us in the book of Jeremiah 29:11 that the thoughts that God thinks towards us are thoughts of peace and not of evil to give us a future and a hope. Also, in Romans 8:28, we are told that all things work together for the good of them that love God and are the called according to His purpose. This therefore implies that God is not unaware of the tough situations in our lives, He only wants us to trust in Him, because He is an expert at making possibilities out of impossibilities. James 1:2 tells us to count it all joy when we fall into various trails knowing that the testing of our faith will produce certain virtues in our lives that God desires to see in us.
If God has given us all of these promises and even more, it therefore means that we should take those promises back to Him in prayer. You should therefore pray the following inspirational prayers if you are currently in a state of despair or you know someone who is in that situation
• Lord I thank you for loving me even before I knew you, thank you because you are not unaware of the situation in my life right now. I ask according to your word that you will deliver me from this storm and restore your peace into my life in Jesus name.
• Lord your word says that I should cast all my cares upon you for you care for me. I therefore cast all my worries, needs and fears upon you right now and lord I ask that you fill me with your strength and give me a fresh hope so that I will not give up my faith in you in Jesus name.
• Heavenly Father, you said that you are faithful in the midst of every temptation to show us the means of escape. Lord I pray that you will open my eyes to the means of escape that you have provided for me in this situation and help me to carry out every needful instruction so that my peace will be restored to me in Jesus name.
• Father you said in Isaiah 41 that I should fear not for you are with me, I should not be dismayed for you are my God, that you will strengthen me, you will help me and you will uphold me with your victorious right hand. Lord I therefore ask that this will be my testimony in the midst of this storm. That I will receive your strength and help to pass through it and come out victorious.
• Lord you word says that those who look to you will have their faces lightened and they will not be ashamed. I ask lord that as I have chosen to look to you in the midst of this situation that you will lighten my eyes to know what you are saying concerning it so that at the end of it all I will not be ashamed in Jesus name.
• Father you told me in your word that your thoughts towards me are thoughts of peace and not of evil to give me a future and a hope. I therefore ask that in this time you will help me to see things from your own perspective that all that is happening is part of your plan to give me a good life, so that I can praise you in the midst of it in Jesus name.
• Lord your word says that all things work together for me because I love you and I am the called according to your purpose. I therefore declare that even though the devil meant this situation for my downfall that God in His mercy is causing it to work for my good in Jesus name.