Today we shall be looking at Psalm 4, prayer for help. These is a very powerful psalm of King David. In these psalms, David calls on the Lord for help in time of distress. It is a psalm that teaches us to trust in the Lord in the dark and troubled times of our lives. It is also a Psalm that calls men to repentance, from trusting in lies and vanity. As long as we keep trusting in the Lord, we will always overcome the trials and tribulations of life.
Engaging a prayer for help using psalm 4 is a very effective way to engage the heavens to come to your rescue. Every prayers that is backed up by spiritual understanding of scriptures will always produce results. That is why before we go into the prayers for help using psalm 4, we shall first be looking at the meaning of psalm 4 verse by verse.
PSALM 4 MEANING VERSE BY VERSE
Verse 1: ANSWER ME WHEN I CALL, O GOD OF MY RIGHT! THOU HAST GIVEN ME ROOM WHEN I WAS I. DISTRESS. BE GRACIOUS TO ME, AND HEAR MY PRAYERS
This is the first verse in this chapter and we can deduce that No man has a right to expect God to hear him if he does not call. There are multitudes who expect the blessings of God as confidently as if they had prayed for them most fervently; and yet such people pray not at all.
When David was in distress, pressed or confined, and knew not how to escape, God had interposed and had given him room so that he felt free. He now implores the same mercy again. He feels that the God who had done it in former troubles could do it again, and he asks him to repeat his mercy. The prayer indicates confidence in the power of God and proves that it is right in our prayers to recall the former instances as a ground of hope that God would again hear our prayers.
Verse 2: O MEN, HOW LONG SHALL MY HONOUR SUFFER SHAME? HOW LONG WILL YOU LOVE VAINS WORDS AND SEEK AFTER LIES?
The problem above is they are sons of men, men of power and authority, of dignity and honor, and who were in high places, and boasted of their titles and grandeur, This would be worldly men who have their thoughts stayed upon things of this world. This really is the condition of our world today. 2 Tim. 3:2-4 describes these people exactly. They have no time for God and their prospects are all vain, and whose promises are all empty!
Until a person, male or female, receives Jesus Christ as their Savior and becomes a son of God, they will do all sorts of things that shame God. This could mean a lot of things. They are a liar, or perhaps they are seeking false gods. It could even be both. “Love vanity”, just means loving this world and all things in it.
Verse 3: BUT KNOW THAT THE LORD APART THE GODLY FOR HIMSELF; THE LORD HEARS WHEN I CALL HIM.
This is addressed to those whom, in the previous verse, he had called the “sons of men;” that is, his foes. This is to show them that their opposition to him must be vain, since God had determined to set him apart for his own service, and would, therefore, hear his prayer for relief and protection.
Verse 4: BE ANGRY, BUT SIN NOT; COMMUNE WITH YOUR OWN HEARTS ON YOUR BEDS, AND BE SILENT.
This verse is ye be angry, and if ye think ye have cause to be angry; do not let your anger carry you to acts of rebellion against both God and your king. Consider the subject deeply before you attempt to act. Being in this state is not an excuse to surrender to emotions and sin, Anger and sin do not have to go hand in hand.
Commune with your own heart means to think in your heart on God. Sometimes, in our bed, is the only quiet time that we can think in our heart about God.
Verse 5: OFFER RIGHT SACRIFICE AND OUT YOUR TRUST IN THE LORD.
Sacrifices of righteousness making a special effort not to sin because righteousness pleases God. Our true righteousness, as we discussed earlier, is not being good enough but receiving our righteousness from Jesus Christ. He took our sin and we received His righteousness. Trust is beyond faith. It is resting in Jesus, knowing that He saved you. Trust is knowing in your heart that all is well. We cannot trust in man. Our trust must be in the LORD Jesus Christ. Trust the LORD with all your heart, and He will reward you
Verse 6: THERE ARE MANY WHO SAY, ” O THAT WE MIGHT SEE SOME GOOD! LIFT UP THE LIGHT OF THY COUNTENANCE UPON US, O LORD.
The psalmist here is interceding for as many that are looking up to God for His goodness to rest upon them. All that wait upon the Lord in time of distress shall not be disappointed.
Verse 7: THOU HAST PUT MORE JOY IN MY HEART THAN THEY HAVE WHEN THEIR GRAIN AND WINE ABOUND.
This verse is talking about how Christ hast gave our soul what it wanted and wished for. We now find happiness which earthly things could not produce. We have peace of conscience, and joy in the Holy Ghost, we have at present unspeakable satisfaction in the testimonies of thy love to my soul; more than worldly persons have in the time of a plentiful harvest.
Verse 8: IN PEACE, I WILL BOTH LIE DOWN AND SLEEP; FOR THOU ALONE, O LORD, MAKEST ME DWELL IN SAFETY
This is the last verse of Psalm 4 and its emphasis on how most men lie down to sleep daily, for without rest life could not be preserved; but few lie down in peace! peace with their own consciences and peace with God, for we have no power to defend ourselves, and yet we felt assured that we would be safe, for we put his trust entirely in the Lord. David had then two great blessings, rest by sleep and trust in the Lord
WHEN DO I NEED TO USE THIS PSALM 4?
Having established the meaning of this psalm, it is important to know when to use it. Here a few times where the psalm can serve a purpose for you:
- When you need help in terms of difficulties
- When you need peace to rein in your life
- When you need God’s preservation
- When you’re in distress and you need to repent of your ways
PSALM 4 PRAYERS:
If you are in any of the situations listed above or more, then these powerful psalm 4 prayers are for you:
- Ask forgiveness for ways you have responded sinfully in your anger.
- Be gracious to me and hear my prayer in time of my distress
- Lord as I put my trust in you, my honor will not turn to shame
- Lift up the light of your face upon us, O LORD!”
- Lift up the light of your face upon us and put more joy in our heart
- Father help me from those who are too strong for me in Jesus name.
- Oh Lord, be my present help and fight my battles today in Jesus name.
- Oh Lord, help me and deliver me from the arm of the mighty of this world in Jesus name.
- Oh Lord, disappoint all those who say of me that there is no help for me in Jesus name.
- Oh Lord, send help to me from the sanctuary and strengthen me out of Zion in Jesus name.
- Oh Lord, I have no one here on earth that will help me. Help me for trouble is near. Deliver me so that my enemies will not cause me to weep in Jesus name.
- Oh Lord, do not delay in helping me, send me help speedily and silent those who mock me in Jesus name.
- Oh Lord! Do not hide your face from me at this trying period. Be merciful to me my God, arise and defend me in Jesus name.
- Oh Lord, show me your loving kindness, raise helpers for me at this period of my life in Jesus name.
- Oh Lord, a hope deferred makes the heart sick, there lord send me help before its too late for me in Jesus name.
- Oh Lord! Take hold of shield and buckler and stand up for my help in Jesus name.
- Oh Lord, help me and use me to help others in Jesus name.
- Oh Lord, fight against those who are fighting against my destiny helpers today in Jesus name.
- Oh Lord, because of the glory of your name, help me on this issue (mention it) in Jesus name.
- Oh Lord, from today, I declare that I shall never lack help in Jesus name.