Today we shall be studying psalm 8, the message from verse to verse. The Psalm is the eighth psalm of the Book of Psalm , generally known in English by its first verse, in the King James Version, “O LORD, our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth!
Psalm 8 describes the admiration of the glory and greatness of God, of which we are all concerned to think highly and honorably. It begins and ends with the same acknowledgment of the transcendent Excellency of God’s name. It illustrates the love of God for mankind.
Psalm 8 Meaning Verse by Verse
Verse 1: O Lord, our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth! Who has set thy glory above the heavens?
The verse describes the acknowledgment of the transcendent Excellency of Gods name. It is proposed for proof that Gods name is excellent in all the earth and heaven, how God designed Earth and place it on firmament that difficult to explain the possibility and indescribable measure that have no scientific proof, the capacity of wisdom God used to create the whole universe, starting from the rising of the sun to the sunset, balance in nature, the regeneration of plants and animals, the incomprehensible work of six days, after all, He makes man the overseer of his works. An incomparable love, even when man failed him by disobedience, He never stops loving us, and he even sacrifices his only begotten son to die for sins of mankind and made us His heir.
Verse 2: Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength because of thine enemies, that thou mightest still the enemy and the avenger.
The verse describes the strength unleashing to off springs of mankind right from the formation of babes in the womb to time of birth continue till transition that involved supernatural extraction of Spirit from the body of man, given eternal life. Even though God made a countless number of creations, different creations that are dangerous and well-fashioned with strength and might, He empowers man with the strength to rule over, feeds on them, manage and determine their fate. Even falling angels that fashioned with power and might which lost their position in heaven, even their master, the Satan the enemies of mankind, He makes His strength available to men to overcome the devil through sacrificial provision (Gospel of Jesus Christ), all men that believe in his birth, death and resurrection to be saved.
Verse 3: When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon, and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
The verse repeated the wondrous acts of God, how he made the sun and moon to provide continuous services for sustainability and survival of man, he ordained them to be light unto man during the day and night, plant and animal for food, the continuous exchange of air from the plant to animal and vice versa, water for daily use for mankind, birds of sky and fishes of the seas for food, precious stones for resources, and many more because of his Love.
Verse 4: What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?
The verse describes the love for man, making him have dominion over the creatures in this lower world, and thereby placing him but little lower than the angels. Questions to measure the Love of God for mankind, asking the question about the worth of man, the quality and credibility of the value of men before God, the provision, the care, sacrifices of God to proved his undiluted love right from the ages. After the creation God put the man in the garden of Eden the resting place of God to enjoy everything in abundant, man makes the wrong choice through Satan deceit and was chase out of the beautiful place, man that created with incomparable glory, created in the image of God with eternal life.
Verse 5-8: For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honor.Thou madest him to have dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all things under his feet: All sheep and oxen, yea, and the beasts of the field; The fowl of the air, and the fish of the sea, and whatsoever passeth through the paths of the seas.
The verse applied to Christ and the work of our redemption; his humiliation, when he was made a little lower than the angels, and in his exaltation, when he was crowned with glory and honor. When we are observing the glory of God in the kingdom of nature and providence we should be led by that, and through that, to the contemplation of his glory in the kingdom of grace. That, in that nature, he is exalted to be Lord of all. God the Father exalted him because he had humbled himself, crowned him with glory and honor, the glory which he had with him before the worlds were, he was set not only the head of the church, but head over all things to the church, and gave all things into his hand, entrusted him with the administration of the kingdom of providence in conjunction with and subserviency to the kingdom of grace. All the creatures are put under his feet; and, even in the days of his flesh, he gave some specimens of his power over them, as when he commanded the winds and the seas, and appointed a fish to pay his tribute.
Verse 9: O Lord our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth!
The verse is repeated to acknowledge the dominance of God honored with the presence of the Redeemer, and is still enlightened by his gospel and governed by his wisdom and power! In singing this and praying it over, though we must not forget to acknowledge, with suitable affections, Gods common favors to mankind, particularly in the serviceableness of the inferior creatures to us, yet we must especially set ourselves to give glory to our Lord Jesus, by confessing that he is Lord, submitting to him as our Lord, and waiting till we see all things put under him and all his enemies made his footstool.
When Do I Need To Use This Psalm?
Having established the meaning of this psalm 8, it is important to know when to use it. Here a few times where the psalm can serve a purpose for you:
- When you feel you grateful for what God has done for you is more than a miracle
- When your heart is burning for the praise of God.
- When you want to appreciate God for his love over your life.
- When something miraculous happens to you.
- If you are trusting God for certain things and when your spirit is down or you feel empty.
Psalm 8 Prayers:
If you are in any of the situations listed above or more, then these psalm 8 prayers are for you:
- Lord Jesus, I acknowledge your awesome wonders in my life and everything you have done for me to save from captivity of the devil, please accepts my praises in Jesus name. Amen.
- Lord Jesus, thank for endowing me with your strength and for giving me freedom over sin
- Lord Jesus Christ, I acknowledge your finished work on the Cross of Calvary, thank you Jesus for the price paid for my salvation.
- Lord Jesus Christ, thank you for unfailing love and mercy that is sufficient to cater to my needs, Blessed be your holy name. Amen.
- Father in the name of Jesus, i declare that you reign above the heavens and the earth, none can compare to your greatness.
- My Father and My God I will give praises to your name as long as I live And have the breath in my nostrils in Jesus name.
- Jehovah, I will praise you because you are a glorious God, and a merciful Father.
- Father , I give praises to your name because you are the God that silences all my enemies in Jesus name.
- Oh Lord, I praise your name for the wonders of your creations that you created for the benefit of mankind in Jesus name.
- Oh Lord, I thank you for creating me in your image and likeness in Jesus name.
- Father, i thank you for the grace to be alive and to sing your praises to you today in Jesus name.
- Dear Lord, cause me to have new testimonies that I may offer more thanksgiving to your name in the midst of the saints in Jesus name.
- Dear Lord, I lift your name higher, above all other names, above everything in heaven and in earth in Jesus name.
- Oh Lord, I will boast of your goodness, and your great kindness all day long and I praise you for being my God in Jesus name.
- Oh Lord, I praise you for fighting the battles of my life in Jesus name
- Oh Lord, I will praise You, in the midst of my trials, you are indeed the reason why I am happy
- Oh Lord, I magnify your name and I acknowledge your greatness in Jesus name.
- Oh Lord, I join the congregation of brethren to give praises to you for you have done great things in my life in Jesus name.
- Oh Lord, I praise your name today because only the living can praise your name, the dead cannot praise you
- Oh Lord, I praise you today for you are good and your mercies endures forever in Jesus name.