Today we will be exploring the book of Psalm 25. We shall be looking at powerful prayer points from psalm 25. These Psalm like many other Psalms is written by King David the ruler of Israel and the greatest king that ever graced the earth. Psalm 25 is a song of plea to God Almighty to show us mercy and compassion where we need it the most.
Also, Psalm 25 is pleading to God to save us from the reproach of people. In this present world that we live in, quite a number of people patiently wait for our downfall especially as Christians so that they could mock us and speak ill of the God that we serve. King David like many of us to have these people waiting for him to be put to shame, Psalm 25 is written to plead to God to rescue him from the plans of his adversaries. So also us who call on the name of God day and night and we that have refused to compromise our faith, the Psalm 25 should be our anthem day and night to always remind God to remember his promises concerning those who believe in him.
Having established the fact that Psalm 25 is mostly about the plea to God to save us from reproach or shame, it is important that we do an analysis of each of this wonderful scripture for a better understanding.
Psalm 25 Meaning Verse By Verse
Verse 1&2 To You, O Lord, I lift up my soul. O my God, I trust in You; Let me not be ashamed; Let not my enemies triumph over me
This first and second verse of Psalm 25 is talking about a total surrender of our lives to God, casting all our cares upon him as the author and finisher of our faith. The first two verses are also pleading that God should not disappoint our expectations. Recall that the scripture says the expectations of the righteous shall not be cut short. Also, these verses are seeking for God’s victory over the enemy.
Verse 3&4 Indeed let no one who waits on You be ashamed; Let those be ashamed who deal treacherously without cause. Show me Your ways, O Lord; Teach me Your paths.
Verse three and four of Psalm 25 is also talking about pleading to God Almighty. In these verses, King David was begging God not to put him to shame and begged God to put those who deal treacherously to shame. Also in these verses, we can beg to know the way of God.
Verse 5&6 Lead me in Your truth and teach me, For You are the God of my salvation; On You, I wait all the day. Remember, O Lord, Your tender mercies and Your loving kindnesses, For they are from of old.
Verse five and six of Psalm 25 showed a man seeking the counsel of God over everything he does. The verse five days lead me in your truth and teach me; this explains that as human we know nothing by ourselves, except God teach and show us the way to go, we might be walking in darkness.
Verse 7&8 Do not remember the sins of my youth, nor my transgressions; According to Your mercy remember me, For Your goodness’ sake, O Lord.
Verse 7 and 8 of this Psalm are begging God for forgiveness especially for the sins that one has committed in the days of the youth. The days of the youth here don’t meanwhile we are young alone, it can also mean our horrible old days before we accepted Christ as Lord and savior. Most of us have done terrible things while we were still in the world. So this verse is begging for God’s mercy upon our lives and seeking his forgiveness over every bad they we have done.
Verse 8&9 Good and upright is the Lord; Therefore He teaches sinners in the way. The humble He guides in justice And the humble He teaches His way.
These two verses acknowledge the fact that God is just and upright in his doings. God understands that a sinner is like a toddler who knows nothing, so God himself teaches sinner the part to righteousness. The natural state of a man is characterized by wickedness, however, the spirit of God helps to teach a sinner the way of God.
Verse 10&11 All the paths of the Lord are mercy and truth, To such as keep His covenant and His testimonies. For Your name’s sake, O Lord, Pardon my iniquity, for it is great.
God is the Supreme being, he never repents in his words. These two verses recognized the fact that the way of God is mercy and truth and God always keeps his covenant. In essence, if God has promised something, he will surely fulfill it. Its latter part of the verse still begs God for the forgiveness of all iniquities that may hinder the promises of God from coming into fulfillment.
Verse 12&13 Who is the man that fears the Lord? He shall He teach in the way He chooses. He himself shall dwell in prosperity, And his descendants shall inherit the earth.
Remember the scripture says the fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom. This verse emphasized that a man who fears the Lord, God will teach him his ways. This man will not walk out of the Will of God for his life. This type of person will always fulfill purpose no matter how hard it seemed because God will direct his steps on the way to go.
Verse 14&15 The secret of the Lord is with those who fear Him, And He will show them His covenant. My eyes are ever toward the Lord, For He shall pluck my feet out of the net.
The secret of the Lord is with them that fears the Lord. This literally means that D doesn’t hide anything from a man who fears and obeys him. A practical example is Father Abraham, Abraham obeyed God because he feared God. And the Bible recorded that God said I will not do anything without telling my friend Abraham. Nothing will catch such a person unaware; nothing will take such person by a surprise. God will literally reveal deep things and more mysteries to such a person.
Verse 16&17 Turn Yourself to me and have mercy on me, For I am desolate and afflicted. The troubles of my heart have enlarged; Bring me out of my distresses!
Verse 16 and 17 are begging God for mercy over distress. It says turn yourself to me and have mercy on me. Whoever that God appears to will surely find mercy.
Verse 18&19 Look on my affliction and my pain And forgive all my sins. Consider my enemies, for they are many, And they hate me with cruel hatred.
When you have nowhere to turn to, that is the best time to return to God in prayers. These verses of the Psalm are begging God to look on him and see all of his affliction, forgive his sins and save him. Remember, that for years the children of Israel were in Egypt until they cried to God that was when help came.
Verse 20&21 Keep my soul, and deliver me; Let me not be ashamed, for I put my trust in You. Let integrity and uprightness preserve me, For I wait for You.
This latter verse of Psalm 25 is begging God to deliver his soul. This verse is reiterating the fact that he put his trust in the Lord and he must not be led to shame.
Verse 22 Redeem Israel, O God, Out of all their troubles!
David ended the Psalm by begging God for the redemption of Israel to its former glory.
When do I need this Psalm?
You might be wondering when exactly do you need this Psalm, you can check below for some of the situations when you should use Psalm 25
- Whenever you are worried about the future
- When you are scared that you might be put to shame
- When there are so many adversaries looking for your downfall
- When you want revelation from God about certain things
- When you need Mercy
- Whenever you want to say a prayer for redemption
Psalm 25 Prayers Points
- Lord God, I pray that by your mercy you will teach me which path to go in life in the name of Jesus.
- Lord, your word says the secret of the Lord is with those that fear him, I ask that you begin to reveal secret things to me in the name of Jesus.
- I pray for the forgiveness of my sins and iniquities, Lord forgive me in the name of Jesus.
- Righteous Father, I ask that you deliver me and cause me not to be ashamed in the name of Jesus.
- Oh God of mercy! Have mercy on me today and let your mercy snatch me from those who seek my death in Jesus name.
- Oh Lord, by your mercy silence every satanic voice speaking against me to destroy my life in Jesus name.
- Oh Lord! Use everything around me to favour me in Jesus name Amen.
- Oh Lord! I seek your face as the child seek the face of the parents. Show me your favour in every area of my life in Jesus name.
- Oh Lord, I call on you in my distress today. Hear me and have mercy on me in Jesus name.
- Lord, let my heart be filled with joy as you answer my prayers according to your mercy in Jesus name.
- Oh Lord, i declare that your goodness and mercies shall never depart from me in Jesus name.
- Oh Lord, intervene in this issue of my life ( mention the issue) before I become a laughingstock before my enemies. Have mercy on me before my enemies see the signs of my frustration in Jesus name.
- Oh Lord, I need help at this hour. Help me on this matter before it is too late in Jesus name.
- Oh Lord, you are the God that raiseth the poor from the dust, the needy from the dung hill, show me your mercy Lord and intervene in this situation in Jesus name
- Oh Lord, as i serve you continually, let your mercy always overrule judgement in my life in Jesus name.
- Oh God of mercy, arise and defend me from every false accusations of the enemy in Jesus name.
- Oh Lord, the challenges of my life are overwhelming, they are so strong for me to handle show me your mercy and help me in Jesus name.
- Oh Lord, have mercy upon me today. Do not let my enemies put me inside a pit in Jesus name.
- Jesus Christ the son of David, have mercy on me and fight the battles of my life in Jesus name.
- Oh Lord, have mercy on me and raise helpers for me at this period of my life in Jesus name.