1 Chronicles 4:9-10:
9 And Jabez was more honourable than his brethren: and his mother called his name Jabez, saying, Because I bare him with sorrow. 10 And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, Oh that thou wouldest bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that thine hand might be with me, and that thou wouldest keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me! And God granted him that which he requested.
The prayer of Jabez is one of the most important prayers in the bible that we can learn a lot from. Very little was said of Jabez in the bible, but the lessons from his life is one we can never exhaust in our life time. Today, we are going to be looking at the meaning of the prayer of Jabez, we will also be looking at the lessons from it, how it applies to us and also prayer points derived or inspired from the prayer of Jabez. The purpose of this article is to guide you in your spiritual quest to achieve greatness, also to help you overcome spiritual obstacles that will stand on your way to hinder you from making progress in life. Now let us look at the meaning of the prayer of Jabez.
The Prayer Of Jabez, Meaning.
For us to understand the meaning of the prayer of Jabez, let us first of all look at the life of Jabez. According to 1 Chronicles 4:9, the bible tells us that Jabez was more honorable than all his brothers. To be a man of honor is to be morally sound, ethical,principled,righteous and full of integrity. All these virtues was seen in the life of Jabez, but yet he was a man of sorrows. Even though Jabez was a good and honest man, who feared the Lord, his life was plagued with all kinds of hell and repeated problems. The question now is this, why would such a nice guy be a victim of such a terrible circumstance? The answer is foundation.
Jabez was born in a wrong foundation, the bible tells us that the mother called him Jabez because he was born in sorrow. Jabez was given a name that was synonymous to sorrows. The problems of Jabez started at his birth, therefore he began to struggle all his life. No matter how good he was, good never came to him, only sorrows and agony. Though he was a honorable man, but there was nothing honorable about him. There are many believers in Christ today, that are suffering from foundational problems, like Jabez the foundation of there birth was faulty and that began to affect the rest of there lives. Only Jesus Christ, through prayers can save and deliver them. Now let us look at how to overcome foundational problems.
Overcoming Foundational Problems.
Jabez problems started when he was given the name ‘Jabez’. In the realm of the spiritual, your name has a direct link to your destiny. It is dangerous to give a child a bad name. The name you bear can be a blessing to you or a curse to you. God is very interested in names, He was always particular about the names of His children, because He knows that what you are called is what you become.
The first step to overcoming foundational problems, is to check the meaning of your name and if its not good and scripturally sound, then change it. Let’s look at some examples on the significance of names in spiritual warfare.
Significance Of Names In Spiritual Warfare
1). Abram To Abraham: Genesis 17:15-16.
In Genesis 12:1, God called Abraham, Abraham was a wealthy cattle rearer, whom God promised that He will be the Father of many nations. But Abraham had a foundational problem, he and his wife had no children and he was 75 years old at the time God called Him. In chapter 17 of the book of Genesis, God changed His name from Abram which means Exalted Father, to Abraham which means father of many, God also changed the name of his wife from sarai, to Sarah which means mother of many. After the change of name, Abraham had a biological son from his wife Sarah. You see, God had to change there names to conform with His plans and purpose for their life.You cannot not be calling yourself a bad name and expect Good things to happen to you. Names are powerful.
2). Jacob to Isreal, Genesis 32:28.
The name Jacob means supplanter, this means someone who subtly takes the place of another person. That name began to work in the life of Jacob. He first cheated His brother esau of His birth right, and later stole Esau’s blessing. He ran to the house of Laban, his relative who also cheated him for over 14 years. Jacob was always on the run until he heard an encounter with God in Genesis 32, where God changed His name from Jacob to Isreal. Everything around Him turned around when God changed His name.
We also see the effects of names in the life of Ichabod the grandson of Eli, the mother named him Ichabod because is real has lost her glory 1 Samuel 4:21, others can be found in Luke 1:5-25, Luke 1:26-38.
The second step in overcoming foundational problems like that of Jabez, is through intense prayers. As believers, one of our weapons of warfare is prayers. Jabez prayed His way out of the foundational agony he had endured from birth. He first of all traced his back ground and discovered that his problems started from the day he was born and given a wrong name. So he began to pray to God for a change of story. The bible tells us that God answered his prayers and enlarged his territory. If you are struggling today with challenges, if your life is plagued with one problems or the other, its time for you to wage spiritual warfare, but don’t just pray blind prayers, make some research, find out as much as you need to know about your background, check the names that your parents gave you and find the spiritual meaning and significance of those names. Here in Africa, a lot of people including Christians are named after idols, deities and different gods of the land. As a matter of fact, through these names,many families in Africa have foundational or ancestral problems. This is because through there names, they have been dedicated to the gods (demons) of there land. This is a serious matter,you cannot fight what you don’t know. The prayer of Jabez was effective because he knew what he was praying against, he was praying a targeted prayer. When you know the root of your problems, you can uproot it.
The good news is this, I don’t care the evil name that the devil have named you, or whatever evil names your parents have named you, by the name that is above all names, the name of Jesus Christ, I see the effect of that names destroyed in your life forever in Jesus name. You just arise and engage the name of Jesus Christ and the blood of Jesus to destroy and wash away the effect of evil names and foundational problems in your life in Jesus name. Like Jabez, you must ask the Lord to enlarge your coast and deliver you totally from the powers of darkness in Jesus name. I have compiled some prayer points inspired by the prayer of Jabez to help you wage spiritual warfare against foundational problems. Pray them in faith today and see your challenges dissapear in Jesus name.
Prayer Of Jabez Prayer Points
1. Every household enemy, resisting my breakthroughs, fall down and die, in the name of Jesus.
2. Every unfriendly friend, delegated against my blessing scatter in the name of Jesus.
3. Every spirit of disobedience and rebellion in my life, die, in Jesus’ name.
4. Every demon, propagating satanic covenants in my life, fall down and die, in the name of Jesus.
5. Any organ in my body, presently on any evil altar, roast in Jesus name.
6. By the stripes of Jesus, I curse the root of every sickness in my life, in the name of Jesus.
7. I destroy every anchor of any bondage in my life, in the name of Jesus.
8. Every spirit of hardship in my life, loose your hold, in the name of Jesus.
9. Every problem that defies solution in my life, blood of Jesus, destroy it, in the name of Jesus.
10. Every power, resisting the power of God in my life, I attack you with the thunder fire of God, in the name of Jesus.
11. Every mountain of stubborn problems in my life, fall down and die, in the name of Jesus
12. Every invisible hand, working evil in my life, wither, in Jesus’ name.
13. Every demon of frustration in my life, die, in the name of Jesus.
14. I reject every spirit of rejection and cancel its operations in my life, in the name of Jesus.
15. I reject and cast out of my life every deeply rooted failure, in the name of Jesus.
16. Every spirit of poverty in my family line, my life is not your candidate, die, in the name of Jesus.
17. Holy Ghost fire, burn every garment of poverty in my life, in the name of Jesus.
18. Every spirit of failure in my life, loose your hold and die, in the name of Jesus.
19. Every spirit of pocket-with-holes, wasting my finances, die, in the name of Jesus.
20. I decree that I shall not labour in vain. Another person shall not eat the fruit of my labour, in the name of Jesus.
21. Every ancestral spirit of anger, loose your hold upon my life, in the name of Jesus.
22. Every hold of unforgiving spirit in my life, break by the blood of Jesus.
23. Every hold of the spirit of prayerlessness in my life, die now, in the name of Jesus.
24. Every spirit, stealing from me fall down and die, in the name of Jesus.
25. Every spirit of blindness in my life, die, in the name of Jesus.
26. Every spirit of poverty in my foundation, die in the name of Jesus.
27. Every problem, planned for my future, you shall not see the daylight, in the name of Jesus.
28. Every warfare, against my breakthroughs in the heavenlies, scatter, in the name of Jesus.
29. Every circle of problems in my life, die, in the name of Jesus
30. By the blood of Jesus, I make my breakthroughs untouchable for any evil power, in the name of Jesus