Today we will be dealing with prayer points for widow. A widow is a lady/woman whose husband is dead, and the lady/woman is not re married. A widower is the opposite of a widow, that is a man whose wife is dead and not remarried.
For the benefit of this topic, we will like to give us brief explanation on widowhood experience so as to aid proper understanding and to pray very well. Widowhood experience is a really bad one, as the bad experience varies according to ones religion/culture, most especially when the woman is accused of killing her husband.
Commonly in the Igbo land when a woman losses her husband she’s to shave the hair on her head and wear black, white, or grey attire for three months. This is to signify she’s mourning her husband and all these are to be done in respect of him.
In the Yoruba culture/tradition, when a woman losses her husband, she is to stay indoors for a minimum of forty or forty one days. No going out, no events.
In some culture, the woman is to sleep close to the husband’s corpse overnight. Some culture forces the woman to bath and drink the water used to bath her husband’s corpse. These are mostly done when the woman is accused of killing her husband as a test to prove her innocence or guiltiness to the accusation. This period a woman experiences what is called ‘widowhood’.
Thus, the woman not only go through shock from the death of her husband, she also goes through emotional and psychological pains and distress. This sometimes lead to depression, long term sickness, loneliness and oftentimes psychological disorder.
The pains widows go through can not be over emphasized thus the need to always support them in the place of prayers. We are to honour the widows around us.The bible says “Honor widows who are truly widows” Widows have no one to look up to except God for the head of the family(her husband) who provides and cater for she and the children is gone.
1 Timothy 5:5 She who is truly a widow, left all alone, has set her hope on God and continues in supplications and prayers night and day. She does nothing but cries to God and set her hope and gaze on Him alone as He is the regarded as the husband of the window. See Luke 2:36-37, And there was a prophetess, Anna the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Asher. She was advanced in years and had lived with her husband seven years after her marriage, and then as a widow to the age of eighty-four. She never left the temple, serving night and day with fastings and prayers.
God does not joke with the windows that’s why it says in Deuteronomy 27:19 “‘Cursed be anyone who perverts the justice due to the sojourner, the fatherless, and the widow.’ And all the people shall say, ‘Amen.’
God’s love for the widow can not be overemphasized, He honours them, provides for them and even uphold them. See Psalm 146:9 “The Lord watches over the sojourners; he upholds the widow and the fatherless, but the way of the wicked he brings to ruin.”
Exodus 22:22 ‘You shall not mistreat any widow or fatherless child’ This is a great commandment from God not to mistreat the windows. The Lord is not ignorant of what the widow does, see for instance Mark 12:42-44 A poor widow came and put in two small copper coins, which amount to a cent. Calling His disciples to Him, He said to them, “Truly I say to you, this poor widow put in more than all the contributors to the treasury; for they all put in out of their surplus, but she, out of her poverty, put in all she owned, all she had to live on”
In our society today, we are to recognize the windows around us and take care of them according to what the scripture tells us. Give them food, provide for their children,honour them, and show them love. They are not to be punished, victimized or seen as evil people.
Prayer points for the widow
- Father Lord I bless you for this exposition, let your name be exalted in the name of Jesus.
- I pray that you comfort every widow out there in Jesus name.
- See them through the journey of widowhood in Jesus name.
- Grant them fortitude to bear the loss in Jesus name.
- Guard their mental health in Jesus name.
Be a husband to them and a father to their children in Jesus name.
- Jer 49:11 “Leave your orphans behind, I will keep them alive; And let your widows trust in Me.” Lord, give our widows the grace to trust you in the name of Jesus.
- The widow will not lose any of her loved ones again in Jesus name.
- Exo 22:22 “you shall not afflict the widow or orphans” We declare and decree that our widows will no longer be afflicted in our land in Jesus name.
- We say no to affliction by the power of the most high.
- Job 29;13 reads ‘And I made the widow’s heart sing for joy’ Cause our widows to always rejoice and be glad always. May they never know sorrow again, in the name of Jesus.
- The young widows who plans on getting married again, help them to make a good home. They will not miss marry. Their new husband will not die young.
- Psalm 147:3 He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. Father let this come to pass on the lives of the widows in Jesus name.
- Psalm 119:50, My comfort in my suffering is this; Your promise preserves my life.
Father preserve their lives and property in Jesus name.
- Psalm 119:116 Sustain me, my God, according to your promise, and I will live; do not let my hopes be dashed. Father you are a sustainer to the hopeless, Jesus Christ the son of God, sustain them in Jesus name.
- Their hopes will never be dashed in Jesus name.
- Thank you Jesus for answered prayer. In Jesus mighty name. Amen